Former Prince Andrew Released After Arrest Over Epstein-Linked Allegations as King Charles Says ‘Law Must Take Its Course’
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, has been released after being arrested and questioned by British police in connection with fresh disclosures linked to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein, deepening a long-running crisis surrounding the British monarchy.
The former prince, younger brother of King Charles III, was taken into custody on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following the release of new records by the US Justice Department tied to Epstein. After several hours of questioning, he was released under investigation, police confirmed.
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said the suspect had been released while inquiries continue, adding that investigations are ongoing and no formal charges have been filed at this stage.
The arrest marks an unprecedented moment in modern British history, representing the first time a senior member of the royal family has been detained by police in centuries. The development has intensified public and political scrutiny of the monarchy’s handling of scandals linked to Epstein.
Buckingham Palace confirmed the arrest in a rare public acknowledgment. A palace spokesperson said the royal household had not been informed before police action was taken. In a written statement, King Charles expressed support for due process, saying: “The law must take its course,” while pledging full cooperation with the authorities.
Police activity was also reported at the Sandringham Estate, the private royal residence in Norfolk where Mountbatten-Windsor has been staying with the King and Queen Camilla.
Investigators have not publicly detailed the evidence underpinning the arrest, but documents released in the United States suggest authorities may be examining whether confidential government information was improperly shared with Epstein during Mountbatten-Windsor’s time as a UK trade envoy.
The case revives earlier controversies surrounding the former prince, including allegations by Virginia Giuffre, who accused Epstein of trafficking her to him when she was a minor. In 2022, Mountbatten-Windsor reached a financial settlement in a US civil case without admitting wrongdoing.
The wider investigation has also cast a spotlight on other figures connected to Epstein’s network. British police are reportedly examining claims involving Peter Mandelson, while documents revealed ongoing correspondence between Epstein and Mountbatten-Windsor’s former wife, Sarah Ferguson, long after Epstein’s 2008 conviction.
Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently denied any criminal wrongdoing. His representatives have not issued a statement following his release.
The unfolding investigation continues to place intense pressure on the royal family, as authorities in both the UK and the US pursue accountability in the expanding Epstein-related revelations.