Hong Kong High-Rise Inferno Death Toll Rises to 146 as Search for Missing Continues
Authorities in Hong Kong have confirmed that the death toll from the devastating fire at the Wang Fuk Court residential complex has climbed to 146, after rescuers recovered 18 additional sets of human remains. Another 100 people remain unaccounted for following the city’s deadliest blaze in more than seven decades.
Police and fire officials provided the grim update at a press briefing on Sunday, noting that seven of the eight high-rise buildings in the Tai Po estate burned for two days before the fire was fully extinguished on Friday. At least 79 residents were injured.
Shuk-yin Tsang, head of the police casualty unit, said the search and identification process remains painstaking, with families assisting in confirming victims. Cheng Ka-chun, who leads the victim identification unit, reported that bodies have been found inside residential units and on rooftops. He warned that more fatalities are possible, as a full search of all affected buildings will take three to four weeks.
On Sunday, over 1,000 people gathered near the charred buildings to pay their respects, leaving flowers, notes, and prayers. Among them was Joey Yeung, 28, who said her grandmother’s apartment was destroyed. “I can’t accept it,” she told Reuters. “I’m not asking to get anything back, but at least give some justice to the families of the deceased.”
Public anger continues to grow amid revelations that residents had repeatedly warned of safety hazards at the complex. The buildings have been undergoing renovations since last year, and bamboo scaffolding along with flammable foam window protection reportedly helped the fire spread rapidly.
Police on Saturday arrested 24-year-old Miles Kwan, a member of a group that launched a petition calling for an independent investigation into possible corruption and regulatory failures. The petition had gained more than 10,000 signatures before it was taken down.
Authorities have since ordered the immediate suspension of 28 construction projects handled by Prestige Construction and Engineering Company, the contractor responsible for work on the complex. Three company officials are among at least 11 people arrested in connection with the tragedy.
Many of the approximately 4,600 residents of Wang Fuk Court are now staying in temporary shelters and city hotels as officials work on long-term housing plans.
“It’s heartbreaking,” civil servant Jeffery Chan said as he laid flowers at the scene. “Seeing people lose their families and everything overnight is unbearable. They need support and encouragement from all of Hong Kong.”