The news is by your side.

Resident Doctors Suspend Strike, Give Federal Government Fresh 4-Week Ultimatum

0 32

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its indefinite strike, 29 days after the industrial action commenced on November 1.

NARD President, Dr. Mohammad Suleiman, announced the suspension on Saturday via his X handle, following an extraordinary National Executive Council (NEC) meeting. He said the decision came after several conciliatory meetings with the Federal Government, culminating in the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) outlining progress on the association’s 19-point demands.

According to Suleiman, one of the major unresolved issues is the payment of promotion arrears. While Chief Medical Directors and Managing Directors have yet to complete compilation of the arrears, the government has been given a four-week deadline to effect payment. Salary arrears are also expected to be cleared within the same period.

On the specialist allowance, Suleiman noted that the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation has issued a clear directive, while the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission is expected to initiate implementation procedures.

He further disclosed that the committee report on the “Lokoja Five”—resident doctors previously disengaged from the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja—recommended their reabsorption, which should be completed within two weeks.

The MoU also captured ongoing processes to address failed or omitted payments related to the 25/35 per cent review and the accoutrement allowance. Suleiman said lists of residents due for upgrade are still being awaited from centre leaders, with the Post-Assessment Tool (PAT) already released.

He added that the issues of skipping and entry-level placement had been resolved following directives from the OHCSF, while outstanding matters concerning house officers had also been settled.

To safeguard doctors’ welfare, Suleiman confirmed that an interim directive had been issued to CMDs and MDs to stop what NARD described as “obnoxious clauses” in locum engagements. Advisory notes have also been sent to health facilities to limit excessive call duties and ensure proper rest for doctors. Committees reviewing the locum policy and work-hour regulations are expected to submit comprehensive documents within two months.

Suleiman said the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) process would resume soon, with discussions on consultant cadre considerations for other health professionals forming part of the engagement. He also noted that the special pensions committee is expected to reconvene.

The NEC, he said, resolved to suspend the strike for four weeks “to allow room and show this uncommon gesture” as implementation is monitored.

“Progress has been made significantly, and this is simply because of the efforts and convictions of NARDites across the country,” he said, while taking personal responsibility for any missteps during the process.

He warned that failure by the government to fully implement agreed items within the four-week window would result in the strike suspension being lifted and the industrial action resuming.

The four-week countdown, he added, begins on Monday and will serve as a reminder to both Nigerians and the government to make full use of the opportunity.

The strike, which began on November 1, was triggered by unpaid arrears, stalled promotions, unmet allowance commitments, staffing shortfalls and other welfare-related concerns.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.