The news is by your side.

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

0 7

 

The World Health Organization (WHO) says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

WHO, in a statement on Monday, said the disease had killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded in the DRC’s 2018-2020 outbreak, which was previously the country’s deadliest, according to local authorities.

The outbreak, declared by national authorities on May 15, became the country’s largest in terms of total confirmed cases in late July. There are currently 4,945 confirmed cases, the latest data shows.

A total of 730 patients remain in isolation or in the hospital and 1,040 people have recovered from the disease, and the fatality rate has risen to 46 per cent, according to Government data.

The current outbreak remains eclipsed only by West Africa’s 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak, which saw 28,616 cases and 11,310 deaths, according to WHO, but the Bundibugyo outbreak is taking lives at a much faster rate.

Vaccine trials are underway in the UK and Canada as the Bundibugyo strain has no approved treatment.

Inadequate health infrastructure, ongoing conflict at the epicentre of the outbreak and distrust of medical authorities have all hindered efforts to help as WHO warns the outbreak is “outpacing the response.”

The UN and its global health partners are working to prevent the spread of Ebola to neighbouring countries such as South Sudan and the Central African Republic.

In early June, WHO and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention inaugurated a response plan.

The plan was to improve emergency coordination, disease surveillance, laboratory testing, infection prevention and control, clinical care, community engagement, research, logistics, and support for essential health services across the continent.

The UN’s humanitarian aid office, OCHA has allocated 54.5 million dollars to accelerate the response in the DRC, help prepare neighbouring countries for the disease’s possible spread and work with local communities to build trust in the public health response.

In the Central African Republic, the UN’s peacekeeping mission,  MINUSCA is working with multiple UN agencies to assist local authorities with technical assistance, surveillance and preparedness measures, communication and community awareness activities, as well as capacity building, UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told reporters on Monday.

“Our peacekeeping colleagues in the country have been providing technical and logistical assistance, including the transportation of health experts throughout the CAR and the delivery of essential equipment and supplies,”  Dujarric said.

On Friday, WHO  convened a meeting in Bangui between representatives from the Central African Republic, DRC, Republic of the Congo, South Sudan and Uganda.

The countries agreed to strengthen cooperation in disease surveillance and pandemic preparedness.

The UN health agency said  it hopes to reverse the fast-moving spread of Ebola within three months by bringing transmission under control.

The agency said support is still needed “for all areas of the response.”

“Responders need safe access to communities, and the resources to end this outbreak and save lives,” WHO said.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.